Aeronca Model K VH-ACK
Both aircraft became the property of DCA. The Northrop was used for the calibration of radio navigation aids whilst the Aeronca was refurbished for issue on loan to an Aero Club as part of DCA's programme of supporting flying training.
The further history of this aircraft is uncertain at present, however it is thought that it was added to the Australian Civil Register as VH-ACK in about 1940, on loan to the Canberra Aero Club. The aircraft was re-registered to the Canberra Aero Club by 1 May 1943.
The aircraft subsequently passed through a number of private owners. The photo above shows it at Camden, NSW, in October 1965. The photo below shows VH-ACK in a dark blue with silver trim colour scheme at an unknown time and place.
The aircraft is thought to still exist (c.2004), however the registration VH-ACK has been re-issued to another aircraft, indicating that it may not be airworthy.