Wynyard Airport Railway Crossing
The railway, running along Tasmania's north coast, was extended to Smithton in 1921. The line, running through Wynyard, was extensively used for haulage by the timber industry and to transport farm produce.
During the late 1930s when the aerodrome at Wynyard was constructed, it was built on the only flat land in the area - the flood plain of the Inglis River. When properly formed runways were constructed, Runway 05/23 was built over the railway line. There was a precedent for this: Sydney's Mascot airport also had a railway line crossing a runway in the early post-War years.
need to accommodate higher performance aircraft and lack of space to lengthen
the main east-west runway led to a new runway, 09/27, being constructed on a more
southerly alignment, as shown in the diagram below from the 2 October 2003 Aerodrome
Chart. Note that the remains of the old Runway 08/26 are now a taxiway and that
the railway crossing at the threshold of Runway 23 was unaffected, although the
runway was slightly lengthened at the south-western end and sealed for most of
its length. The southern grass landing area has disappeared altogether.
Click here to read about how the Wynyard railway crossing was controlled
Back to the main Air Traffic Services index